Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I have a few questions about getting gel nails ?

1: How long approximately will I be in the salon for?


2: If I already have nail polish on they'll take it off for me right, or do I NEED to go in with nothing on my nails?


3: Can I tell them what I want customarily or do I need to choose from the designs/colors they have ?





Its my first time getting gel nails. So I dont know much about it !I have a few questions about getting gel nails ?
It never ceases to amaze me when people answer these kind of questions exactly how misinformed people really are. Here are a few facts about gel nails - and nail enhancements as well.


First, I have never seen a good technician ( a tech who is worthy of calling themselves a nail technician, not some chop shop worker) who is able to do a full set of real UV gel nails in less than one hour. And that is fast. Typically, expect it to take at least an hour and a half. Secondly, nail enhancement products (gel, acrylic and so on) do not ruin your nails. A bad tech will ruin your nails, not the products used. The discount salons you see in strip malls and on practically every street corner advertising full sets for like $20-$25 are notorious for ruining your nails due to being unskilled and under qualified. Many operate without being licensed and - believe me, you don't want to have an unlicensed and/or unskilled tech working on your nails. Its asking for trouble from the start.


The most typical reason your nails are ruined at these salons is due to over filing of your natural nails. This is completely unnecessary. It is so often mistakenly believed that the 'tech' must rough up your nails so the acrylic (gel, whatever) will 'stick' better. This is totally untrue. There is a need to remove the natural shine form your nails, and to have them free of oils naturally produced in our bodies and free of contaminants but not one bit more than that. The chop shops will take a Dremel drill (not a tool which is made for use on nails) and they will file away at your nails until there is hardly anything left to them. These same people who go to the chop shops to have their nails done in like a half hour or so will then complain about how the acrylic or gel 'ruins' your nails or that their nails hurt. Gee, I wonder why, LOL. Nope, the tech ruined your nails, not the product.


The tech will remove any polish you may be wearing at the time you have your nails done. And yes, you should be able to tell them exactly what you want done to them. It is not up to the tech to decide for you. It is your money, you are in control -not them. If the salon has a bunch of premade designs, watch out. Typically they have a stockpile of these nails pre made and will simply glue them to your nails.


Oh, and one final piece of advice. Beware of the cheap salons at all times, but especially when getting 'gel' nails applied. These salons are well known to scam the unknowing consumer out of their hard earned money in many ways, but one very common way is this: You go in and ask for gel nails. They say, OK. You want gel nail, I give you gel nail. They then proceed to apply acrylic nails, and sometimes go as far as applying a UV topcoat or sealer over the acrylic nails you just had put on. Why is that a scam? Because you asked for gel nails and got a set of acrylic nails. And gel nails are always more costly than acrylic nails. So, you will be paying for gel nails but in reality, you have acrylic nails - not gel. It amazes me how many women are walking around out there who mistakenly believe they are wearing UV gel nails but are really acrylic nails and nothing more than that. But hey, the tech wouldn't lie, would she? You bet he or she would. It happens way too often.


Simply stated: If the tech uses any liquid and powder on your nails, you are getting acrylic nails. If you have never seen what real UV nail gel looks like, let me say this. It is never a powder. Don't let a tech tell you ';it powder gel,'; because there is no such thing as powder gel. A gel is a gel. Here is a pic of high quality UV nail gels which are made by CND- a leader in the professional nail product industry, and they have been since the 1970's:


http://www.cnd.com/Home/homelink-consume…


That is what real UV gels look like. They come in many different colors, so if your tech only has a few colors - or just one or two just be aware that many more are available and you can do better than what that tech is offering you by going somewhere else that does offer many color options. Also, many will use colored tips. This is not the way to do nails the right way. A good tech will typically sculpt the nails, and not use tips unless they absolutely have to - which sometimes happens. Sculpting nails involves no use of plastic tips glued to your nails. They use a nail form to literally sculpt a nail onto your own natural nails. The end result is always much better looking and will last longer too. But, the tech must be good at sculpting or else it is just as bad as using tips.


I'm really sorry I gabbed for so long but I hope I helped, even a bit. Best wishes, and enjoy your new gel nails :-)I have a few questions about getting gel nails ?
1. Depending on how great the person is, maybe 45 minutes to an hour.





2. They will take it off for you.





3. They will do customs.





By the way, any fake nails really do ruin your real nails so unless you can afford to get them done every two weeks I wouldn't do it. I got gel nails four years ago, and last year my nails just started being normal again. The chemicals make your nails thin and sore when you take the nails off. I hope my information helped :]
1. probably about 30-40 minutes depends on whom.


2. yes, they'll take it off


3. yes you can, most places allow that but charge more
1. It all depends what design your getting. I've seen people get them done in about half an hour or so, but not too long ago my mom got hers done for almost 2 hours.


2. I'm sure they'll take it off for you.


3. Depends on the place, but usually they'll show you a basic design and you can pick what shape you want your nail, how large/small details are and colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment